SIMCOE MUSKOKA CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
The Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (SMCDSB), Adult, Continuing & Community Education is excited to add a Personal Support Worker (PSW) program to current course offerings. Graduate from high school with a diploma and as a qualified PSW ready for employment, and make an impact in the lives of our community’s most vulnerable.
This program will help alleviate the shortage of PSWs in our region. Beginning this month, students who complete the program will be qualified PSWs and ready for full-time employment by the time they graduate!
This program is ideal for students in Grades 11 or 12 interested in or currently taking a Health and Wellness Specialist High Skills Major. The program is also a good fit for recent graduates or students under 21 who have not received an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. The $50 fee is refundable after the successful completion of the program. Students will receive the following:
- PSW scrubs (to wear while on placement)
- Proper footwear (to wear while on placement)
- PSW textbook
- PSW workbook (that will be completed as part of the program)
- Cooperative Education lab book (that will list the skills and competencies that students have to learn and demonstrate and keep on file as part of their certification)
- A financial stipend to support their placement
- A bursary of up to $4,500 upon successfully completing the SMCDSB PSW Program.
Courses are offered online at night and during the summer. Teachers will connect with students in person as well through course and placement visits. In addition to courses, students will also earn PSW certifications including:
- CPR/Emergency First Aid
- GPA Alzheimer's
- Elder Abuse in-service
- Acquired Brain Injury in-service/certification
- Others may be added.
Find out more information or register by completing the following form:
PSW Program Registration / of Interest Form Expression