A man armed with a shotgun broke into a Georgina home and demanded the residents hand over money and mobile devices. He was stopped by police and has been charged.
The incident occurred Aug. 15 at about 11 p.m. York Regional Police responded to a call about an armed man in the area of Metropolitan Crescent and Simcoe Avenue.
The suspect, who had a shotgun, entered a house in the area and demanded cash and cell phones, police said. No one was injured.
Police arrived on the scene before the suspect was able to flee and made an arrest. Joshua Read, 42, of no fixed address was taken into custody and has been charged with the following:
- Possession of a firearm without a licence
- Possession of a weapon
- Pointing a firearm
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized
- Careless storage of firearm, weapon, prohibited device
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
- Fail to comply with judicial release order
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact the hold-up unit at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 6631. You can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or leave an anonymous tip online.