The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency. The program helps individuals and families in need by preparing their income tax and benefit returns. The returns are prepared by community volunteers for people who meet the eligibility requirements of a modest income and a simple tax situation (see below for explanation).
To ensure safety in the COVID-19 pandemic, the BWG Library has adopted a modified drop-off program for the CVITP in 2021:
- After registering, participants will be contacted by a librarian and arrangements will be made for dropping off tax documents and information at the Library.
- The Library will quarantine the documents before passing them to the volunteers, who will prepare the returns.
- After the returns are completed the documents will be sent to the participants. This process will take several weeks.
If you wish to participate in this program, please confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements and fill in the form found on the BWG Library’s website. You will be contacted by the BWG Library to arrange how to drop off your documents and given a special envelope in which to place your documents and forms.
Simple tax situations
In general, a tax situation is simple if an individual has no income or if their income is only from these sources:
- benefits, such as Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, disability insurance, employment insurance and social assistance;
- Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs);
- support payments;
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants; or
- interest (under $1,000).
In general, a modest income means the total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below, based on the size of the family.Family size includes an individual, or a couple, and their dependants.
Suggested total family income levels:
- 1 person = $35,000
- 2 persons = $45,000
- 3 persons = $47,500
- 4 persons = $50,000
- 5 persons = $52,500
- More than 5 persons = $52,500, plus $2,500 for each additional person over 5 people
INELIGIBLE TAX SITUATIONS
The CVITP does not provide training or support for complex tax situations. If your return includes any of the following situations, you do NOT qualify for the program:
- self-employment income or employment expenses (see exception below);
- business or rental income and expenses;
- interest income over $1,000;
- capital gains or losses;
- foreign property (T1135;)
- bankrupt individuals in the year of bankruptcy (or the year prior, if that return has not been filed); or
- deceased individuals.
If you have any questions, please contact the Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message for Wendy at 905-775-3328 ext. 6108.