Fire and Emergency Services will be holding their annual Fire Prevention Week OPEN HOUSE on Thursday, October 10, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. – BWG fire hall, 75 Melbourne Drive. Meet our firefighters, see the fire hall and trucks, tour the Fire Safety House, get your photo taken with Sparky, enter the colouring contest, enjoy snacks and learn about home fire safety!
Proclamation: FIRE PREVENTION WEEK - October 6-12, 2019
the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all those living in and visiting BWG; and
fire is a serious public safety concern both locally and nationally, and homes are the locations where people are at greatest risk from fire; and
when the smoke alarm sounds, BWG’s residents may have less than two minutes to escape to safety; and
BWG’s residents who have planned and practiced a home fire escape plan are more prepared and will therefore be more likely to survive a fire; and
BWG’s residents should:
- make a home escape plan, drawing a map of each level of the home, showing all doors and windows
- practice the home fire escape plan with everyone in the household, including visitors
- practice the home fire escape drill at least twice a year, during the day and at night
- teach children to escape on their own in case adults can’t help them
- make sure everyone in the home knows how to call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or a neighbor’s phone
- practice using different ways out; and
in a real emergency, BWG’s residents should:
- get low and go under the smoke to get out quickly
- get out and stay out, never going back inside the home for people, pets or things; and
BWG’s residents are responsive to public education measures and are able to take action to increase their safety from fire, especially in their homes; and
the 2019 Fire Prevention WeekTM theme, “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!TM” effectively serves to remind us that we need to take personal steps to increase our safety from fire.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
That His Worship Mayor Rob Keffer and Members of Council proclaim October 6-12, 2019 as FIRE PREVENTION WEEK in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury.