Winter storms kill more Canadians than tornadoes, thunderstorms, lighting, floods and hurricanes combined.
Have you updated your car kit for winter to include things like shovels and blankets?
Get Prepared Canada offers a complete car safety checklist including:
- Food that won't spoil, such as energy bars
- Water in plastic bottles so they won't break if frozen (change every six months)
- Extra clothing and shoes
- First aid kit
- Seatbelt cutter (in glove box or console)
- Small shovel, scraper and snowbrush
- Candle in a deep can and matches
- Wind-up flashlight
- Whistle in case you need to attract attention
- Copy of your emergency plan and personal documents
- Sand, salt or cat litter (non clumping)
- Antifreeze/windshield washer fluid
- Tow rope
- Jumper cables
- Fire extinguisher
- Warning light or road flares
WHERE DO I GET INFORMATION DURING AN EMERGENCY?
During emergencies, the Town of BWG posts information on Facebook and shares it with local media, including radio stations Rock 95 and 107-5 Kool FM. During a serious emergency in which extra support services are required (such as evacuation centres or water stations), the Town will partner with 2-11 telephone information service to answer calls.
For more tips, checklists and information visit www.townofbwg.com/EmergencyPrep