The owners of a heritage home in Bond Head received the first plaque in a new town program celebrating historically-significant properties.
Bradford West Gwillimbury Mayor Rob Keffer presented Calvin Adams and Robin Pitkin, along with their three month old daughter, Maeve, with a plaque bearing the name of their home’s original owner and the date it was built: John Lytle, a blacksmith, and 1895.
The plaque is part of the town’s new Heritage Plaque Program, which was launched in April.
To qualify, buildings must be designated, listed on the town’s heritage registry, or are more than 100 years old.
Buildings of other significance – association with a famous person, or outstanding architecture – may also apply for a plaque.
Made of clear acrylic, with secondary graphics in cream, green and blue – the colours of BWG’s official logo – the plaques measure approximately 21.6-by-35.5 centimetres, and are 0.635 cm thick. They are being produced by local company e-Signs Canada.
Property owners must pay for the plaques — $144 plus HST, or $102 plus HST if they are willing to wait until the town has at least four applications at one time.
About $5 to $7 per plaque will go to the town to cover staff costs and program administration.
More information on the program and application forms can be found on the town’s website.
With files from Miriam King