Skip to content

Posters of fallen soldier vandalized in area park (update)

Police investigating after two posters depicting Pte. Kevin McKay targeted

Update (March 6): While the investigation continues, Nottawasaga OPP Const. Katy Viccary had a chance to speak with resident Bob George about the importance of the soldiers' posters within Peacekeeper's Park.

George is the the national vice-president of the Canadian Association of Veterans and United Nations Peacekeeping and is also the local chapter vice-president.

He explained that the public park is designated as a registered military memorial and serves as a physical remembrance of those who gave their lives in United Nations-sanctioned missions.

The park is adorned with a "wall of honour," which houses portraits that are made by a local artist, who is also a peacekeeping veteran.

The portraits are a visual representation of the soldier, including a brief biography of service and death information. The portraits cost $160 and are primarily covered through community donations.

Nottawasaga OPP officers are looking for whoever is responsible for vandalizing posters depicting a fallen soldier from Oro-Medonte.

Provincial police were notified Thursday that two posters of Pte. Kevin McKay, who died in the line of duty in Afghanistan in 2010, had been vandalized in Peacekeepers Park in Angus.

Anyone with camera footage in the area is asked to check it to see if the suspects are shown.

Police said more details will be released when they’re available.

Anyone with information can contact OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

A road in south-end Barrie is named in McKay's honour. 

He was killed in action on May 13, 2010 and later awarded the General Campaign Star (SouthWest Asia) and the Sacrifice Medal (posthumously).

McKay, who grew up in Oro-Medonte's Horseshoe Valley and attended W.R. Best Public School and Barrie's Eastview Secondary School, was 24 years old when he was killed by an improvised explosive device while on his last night patrol. He died just two days before the end of his tour of duty.